From packing to unpacking, each step is tedious and time-consuming. What if one tedious step could relieve the stress of the following steps. This phase is the purging phase. This is one of the most important steps in the entire process. Why? This determines what you will actually move.
As Portland residential movers, we have worked with thousands of families over the years. They saw a big difference in families who purged and those who didn’t. Why is this such a big step? Purging helps cut down on the amount of stuff you have and can reduce the time and money needed for the following steps. If that isn’t reason enough, here are six more:
- You Have More Than You Need- The average American has way more than they actually need. This surplus of stuff leads to cluttered closets, overflowing dressers, and more stress in general.
- It’s Therapeutic- Going through old belongings and throwing out the junk can be good for your soul. It cleanses your home of objects attached to bad memories or extra stuff that weighs you down instead of lifts you up.
- Things Can Be Replaced – Most of the possessions you have can easily be replaced, if needed. At the end of the day, stuff is just stuff. The important belongings are the people, so keep that in mind when you’re going through stuff.
- Very Little is Worth It- The easiest way to picture if you actually really want/need something is to imagine carrying it up and down stairs to your new home. Very little will seem worth it come moving day, so this is the time to decide just what is worth making the journey.
- You Probably Won’t Miss Much- Chances are that you won’t miss anything you give away. Unless you use it on a daily basis, you probably won’t even notice that you no longer own that shirt, brush, electronic, etc.
- You Could Toss Keepsakes- It’s possible to toss something you don’t mean to get rid of. Be careful when going through those memory boxes. Even if you do accidentally toss something you didn’t mean to, you might not miss it as much as you thought. Besides, you always get to keep the memories.
While moving is a difficult process, purging will help reduce the stress and work needed. For more assistance and to ensure you have a smooth relocation, call the Portland moving experts at ITS Global Relocation.
Subscribe to ITS Global Relocation Services's Blog