Over the last few decades, identity theft has become increasingly prevalent, and relocating to a new home opens the door for scammers to take advantage of you at a time where you are already feeling pulled in a million directions at once. At ITS Global Relocation Services, our Portland movers are committed to helping you handle all aspects of moving, including protecting your family from the dangers associated with the process. They say an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure, so consider the following tips from our household movers in Portland to stop scammers in their tracks:
- Reduce your Exposure- Minimizing your exposure to those who could take advantage of your information is one of the most important factors in preventing identity theft. Set strong passwords for your accounts, shred sensitive documents, and limit the information that you share with people you don’t know—whether it’s in person, over the phone, or through online interactions.
- Keep an Eye on Your Accounts- You are likely to have an increase in expenses during the moving process, and it’s easy to let something slip through the cracks. Keep an eye on all of your bank statements, and consider setting up transactional notifications through your financial institution. You can also check your credit score for free to look for unauthorized activity, or take it a step further and subscribe to a credit monitoring service.
- Notify Agencies of Your Address Change - Your general mail often carries sensitive documents, account details, and other personal information that you don’t want shared with anyone else. Ensure that you forward your mail from your old address, and notify important agencies of your location change, including the IRS, DMV, Social Security Administration, your employer, banking entities, and utility companies.
- Pack Smart When it Comes to Documents- Anything can happen during a move, even with the most reliable Portland residential movers. To avoid important or sensitive documents going missing during the relocation process, pack a box that contains all of your essential information. Keep this box with you during the move, and transport it personally in your vehicle to your new home.
- Keep Your Home Secure - You'll undoubtedly have people in and out of your house. Make sure to keep IDs and sensitive docs secure. Change your garage door code if you give it out. Call for garage door repair in Portland if your door is not secure. Don't give out keys to contractors.
Identity theft may be a reality in today’s society, but that doesn’t mean that you have to end up being the next victim! The crew at ITS Global is committed to providing secure, professional Portland moving services to assist with your relocation, and we’ll work with you to ensure that you have an experience that is not only stress-free, but that also keeps your identity safe from those preying on unsuspecting families. To learn more about our premier moving company in Portland and to request a free estimate for your next relocation, just give us a call today or fill out our online form.